Wednesday, May 9, 2007

video #06: TISM - Everyone Else Has Had More Sex Than Me



TISM are a masked band of agitprop culture-critics from Australia who'd probably fit in well with Chumbawumba or Negativland if any of they actually gave a fuck about fitting in. Next to The Residents, they might be the second biggest band in the world that's truly maintained any degree of anonymity throughout its existence, having been together for over 20 years now, even having a handful of hits in their own country. From what I've read, however, they seemed to do everything they could to sabotage their own success along the way (singles with titles like "Defecate On My Face" and "I Might Be A Cunt, But I'm Not A Fucking Cunt" just might encounter a bit of... resistance from radio). I'm new to TISM so I might be missing the point (this might be just what they want, I don't know), but their contempt for the media, consumer culture, and for other bands in general seems to be genuine.

"Everyone Else Has Had More Sex Than Me" is probably their most self-deprecating hit, containing no real cultural or political overtones or critiques. On the surface, it would be easy to write off as a sub-Bloodhound Gang throwaway or a novelty song, but TISM play it straight without the slightest bit of irony, and no, that's not a "joke" either. Of course, it's doubtful that most people would have heard it without viewing the video online. I don't know if its viral success has really helped the band or not; none of their recordings are available in America, so there's not much that anyone here could do to support them even if they wanted to. I know that this would have been my jam if I had heard it more than two years ago when it was released. This won't hit close to home for everyone, but let me say that truer words have never been spoken:

Corporate chambers and office amore
Shenanigans outdoor and in
Resist and then later your find out there's more
Regret in not doing the sin

No comments: