Sunday, January 20, 2008

World Class Wreckin' Cru - Surgery



World Class Wreckin' Cru - "Surgery"

The essential electrorap/freestyle single, should be background music in every VH1 special about 1984, but remains all but unknown outside of the Internet and in the memories of post-disco clubbers. The first casualty of homophobic gangster rap? As far as I know, Dr. Dre has disowned this amazing track and all his work with World Class Wreckin' Cru. No, they weren't gay! But tossing off effete lyrics ("my name is Dr. Dre / gorgeous hunk of a man") and posing for promo photos in sequined jumpsuits provides more than enough diss material for other rappers (case in point) that Dre's preferred to sweep under the rug. Unfortunately, there's no statute of limitations on these things, even when they're based on ridiculous and ignorant accusations.

I first heard this track as a remix by Hrvatski on the Tigerbeat6-released Attitude EP. I didn't hear the original until years later, as recommended by Erickkk.

Certainly needs to be used in a mix alongside some of these tracks. I'd try it myself if I had any idea where to start.

No comments: